Taj Mahal, a Wonder of the world
What is the Taj Mahal?
The Taj Mahal is a mosque like building and tomb built in the 16th century by the Mughal emperor, Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, Mumtaz Mahal.
The building is in the city of Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India. Widely thought of as one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, it is one of India’s biggest tourist attractions.
It is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, together with the Agra Fort, 2.5 kilometers away. It was listed as one of the 7 Wonders of the World in 2007. It is located on the south bank of the Yamuna river in Agra. It is a splendid monument. It Is one of the most notable Islamic architectures built by the Mughals in India.
10 Fun Facts
- The Taj Mahal is a famous mausoleum in India.
- A mausoleum is a building that contains burial chambers (tombs) for the deceased, they can be large or small and are often created in honor of influential people.
- It was built as the final resting place for Mumtaz Mahal, the third wife of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan.
- The name Taj Mahal means “crown of palaces”.
- The construction of the Taj Mahal took around 20 years, beginning around 1632 and finishing around 1653.
- The Taj Mahal is made of white marble.
- One of the Taj Mahal’s most recognizable features is a large white dome that is often called an ‘onion dome’ due to its shape. It has a height of around 35 meters (115 feet) and is surrounded by 4 smaller domes.
- The full height of the Taj Mahal is 171 meters (561 feet).
- The Taj Mahal is considered to be one of India’s most admired works of art, as well as a famous landmark and a tourist attraction that draws millions of visitors every year.
- The Taj Mahal complex includes a large garden, a reflecting pool, a mosque, and other mausoleums.
Here you are a free downloadable reading for kids to introduce the beautiful Taj Mahal. If you wish the whole resource “Wonders of the World. Distance Learning”, click here.
Related sites to find out more
If you don’t have the pleasure of visiting the Taj Mahal in India, you can always go to the official page of the Taj Mahal and pay a visit with this great interactive resource.
Explore the outside and inside of this building by walking along with its gardens, corridors, and rooms.
Begin this online jigsaw puzzle of Taj Mahal to get familiar with this construction.